Thursday, February 22, 2018

Solid Marks for Black Panther

The Child and I saw "Black Panther" the other day.  I'd say it was a solid, origin story, Marvel Comics Movie.  I think the contrasts and comparisons between Black Panther's and Killmonger's character development were a little lost on The Child, who seemed to like Klaue's character a lot (mostly because of his weaponry).  I thought many of the conflicts centered around building barriers or building bridges, which feels germane to today's polarized United States.

However, I feel like I must be missing something--and reading various reviews it appears to be references to African and African-diaspora cultures--because I have so many friends who are raving about how stunning the movie is.  I'm recognizing that the fictional country of Wakanda as a bright imagining of how we could be is very important and that this is a culturally significant turning point in movie making.  While I liked "Black Panther" more than I did  "Guardians of the Galaxy I," "Captain America: Civil War" or even "Thor: Ragnarock", for me "Dr. Strange" was more enjoyable (but then again, I've always had a soft spot for the Sorcerer Supreme--and Mark says this makes me an outlyer.)  

And of course I want some of the hats in "Black Panther"... especially the toroidal cross-section ones.


On the writing front:  I managed to get about 2000 words in Tuesday.  I think 1500 are fairly solid... and we'll see how much of them are still in place after a few editing rounds.   The trick will be doing 2000 words a few days in a row.  Did I say trick, I meant requirement.



No comments: