Monday, January 29, 2018

Gym, Le Guin, and Inanna's Gate

I managed to be virtuous and went to the gym Friday and Sunday.  I did the usual routine of 200 calories on the Nordic eliptical.  3x13x30lbs deltoid fly.  13x(30+40+50)lbs pec fly.  13X(40=50+60+)lbs lat pull-down.  3x13 Roman chair curls.  3x13x30lbs barbell curls.  3x13x30 tricept pull-downs.  Assorted arm/shoulder thingieswith a 5 lb dumbbell.

I've been reading Ursula K Le Guin's blog  collection, "No Time to Spare."  Some of it is familiar, and I must have read some of the essays when they first came out circa 2012.  I think I appreciate her comments on the aging process better than I did six years ago -- I especially liked her comment on "abs, slabs and blabs" in her "Aging Isn't for Sissies" essay, probably because I'm an older man working on his abs and it really does hit me from time to time that there's going to be a last day I go to the gym and the whole reason I started in the first place was when Mark pointed to my "blabs" and laughed.  

And it hits me some times when I catch myself appreciating the physiques of some fine men at the gym that I don't want to be one of those leering codgers ogling the youngsters.  And I suppose one of those Inanna Gates looming before me is the one where The Guardian says, "Now give up Hot Sex."  Man... I can only hope that when that happens I'll be... serene? grateful?  "Too tired to make it and too tired to fight about it"?   

No!  Wait!  I'll say to the Guardian, "You look hot!" and then sneak through the gate in the afterglow.  I suppose that's a younger man's answer.  But I'm sticking with it.

No comments: