Thursday, August 10, 2017

Bethesda Terrace

I'm sure that I've seen Bethesda Terrace before, but I must have been in a hurry to see the MET or to meet Mark or it was rainy.




As soon as Mark pointed it out, I was off faster than you can say "F-stop."




We got there fairly early in the morning, and there weren't too many other tourists about.  People kept telling us that it was a lovely day and that we'd just missed the heat wave (I think the New Yorker's cover that week was The Devil driving a Metro Subway out of Hell).




Areas like Bethesda Terrace make me wish Eugene wasn't covered in Brutalist Architecture, Graffiti Murals, and Hippy Sculptures--or to quote Frederic Edwin Church, Eugene's "ideal of architecture is wrapped up in felicitous recollections of a successful brick school house or meeting house or jail."  At least we have the UO Art Museum, Knight Library and Hope Abbey.







No comments: