Monday, May 15, 2017

Gym Time and Body Image

Went to the gym Thursday.   Did a set of regular and side-planks just before the gym.  15-20 minutes on the cable rowing machine for 200 calories.  3x12x60lbs on the pec fly machine.  3x13x70lbs on the lat pull-downs.  3x13 hanging curls on the Roman Chair. 3x12x35lbs barbell curls.   I think this has been a not-so-good week for eating too much junk food, because my belly fat seems more prominent and I've gained about two pounds.

The other day at the swimming pool when I was getting dressed, I happened to look up and saw my reflection in the mirror.  I look ... kind of stout.  Not fat, but jiggly like a serving of Spam.  Or like a retired wrestler.  I think I expected to look more defined, at least in the arms, after swimming (OK, sliding down the water slide). It was a "...my body's alright / but not at this angle / and not in this light" moment.  

Yes; I'm focusing on abs.  Yes; I know belly fat is hard to get rid of and you can't spot target fat.  Yes; I know I probably want a 10% body fat body without having to give up various snacks which are probably keeping me at 20%.  Yes; momento mori "and we all loose our shape in the end."  

I suppose it's time to eat more vegetables or something.

Gym Saturday:  Somehow I was the first person at the gym and for about five minutes I was the only person.  20 minutes and 200 calories on the elliptical.  10 minutes on the cable rowing machine for 110 calories.  3x12x60lbs on the pec fly machine.  3x12x70lbs on the lat pull-downs.  3x13 hanging curls on the Roman Chair. 3x12x35lbs barbell curls.  3x12x35 reverse barbell pulls.   

Sunday we had a nice visit with my family in Corvallis.  My dad prepared a hearty brunch for us for Mother's Day.  There was dog walking, piano playing, and computer consulting.  Afterward, we helped my sister with various craft projects for my niece's upcoming mermaid-themed birthday party.

No comments: