Tuesday, February 09, 2016

Sunday Writing Marathon

Working out:  Saturday morning I managed to get to the gym right as it opened.  25 minutes on the elliptical at 250 calories.  My right knee started to bug me, so I only did about 5 minutes on the rowing machine for about 40 calories.  Assisted dips/chins 3X8 um, starting at 18 and ending at 16.   Downstairs 3X12X40 lbs on the pec fly.  3X12X80lbs on the pec flies.  3X13 curl-ups.  3X12X35lbs on the barbell curls.  I probably need to mix up my routine a little; adding front and side planks would be a good thing I might be able to do at home.

Writing:  The family was going to go skiing without me Sunday, but it was 40F at Willamette Pass, so they went to the beach instead.  The new moon made the tide extra high, but the ocean was calm.  They had a great time at "Ripley's Believe it Or Not" which I guess has had an upgrade since I've been last... probably more that 20 years since I've been.  

I managed to (more-or-less) write from about 10:30 AM to about 6:00 PM.  I set about an hour's worth of  Bach oboe concerto on infinite repeat and I was set.   I managed to get a strong 1200 words out in the final scene, and, adding to what was already written, the total story is about 3500 words.  I'd guesstimate between the writing and editing out the wrong words I averaged about 200 words an hour.  I did make a setting error I had to go back and fix, and I probably spent too much time re-writing the opening scene.

I made sure to make mint tea after about 11 so I wouldn't over-caffeinate.  

Whew.  I'm glad what I managed to get done, but I need to write more quickly.  I suppose I should try to use Eric Witchey's method of not hitting the backspace key and re-casting problem sentences as I see them in order to increase the word flow.  


No comments: