Monday, January 25, 2016

Workouts and Writing

Working Out:  Went to the gym Saturday morning.  Since I didn't go to the gym at all for a week, I had a "ease into things" workout.  25 minutes on the elliptical for about 200 calories.  10 minutes on the rowing machine for about 100 calories.  I've been working my way back into assited dip and chin-up, starting with a full assist doing 5 of each, then decreasing the assists by two notches for 10 more.  3X12X40lbs on the pec fly.  3X12X70 lbs on the lat pull-downs.  3X12 curl-ups on the power-station thing.  3X12X30 lbs barbell curls.

Writing:  Sunday, I opted out of a ski-trip and wrote.  I'm working on a piece for On The Premises, and I'd been SimpleNoting various scenes and POV's and ideas.  I gathered them together in Scrivener, sorted through the chaff, and had a little under 1000 words of very rough draft (about twice that if you count dead-ends and explorations).  By the end of two hours I concluded that this was more of an editing session than a writing session, that I needed to choose the story's POV character, and that I needed a third character.  

The story is set in Eugene, with magical creatures, and originally, I was calling them Elves or the Fey.  But I wondered what English Fey would be doing in Oregon, and felt they should be different somehow.  I didn't want to make them First Nations Kachinas -- wrong area, for one -- and I didn't want to appropriate Raven or Coyote or Wolf.  I don't want to call them Devas or Kami or Numina, and I'm thinking I may compromise and simply call them the Folk.  Which means I need to call where they live something other than "Elfhame" ... but "Folkhame" sounds wrong somehow.

I knew the magical character would be a helper to the daughter character in the story... and I got stuck every time I started to write her.  It wasn't until I sat down and started sketching various goblin-esque characters until I saw her.  And now I have a handle on her.

No comments: