Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Early French Bomber Plane

 This is a French plane from (I think) World War One.  It last flew a few years ago at the airfield near Fort Vancouver.  It is a bomber of some sort; I forget how many bombs it could carry (I'm not sure how big the bombs were, or if they were grenades.)

What struck me about it was how much it looked like something out of "Girl Genius."  The wheels were especially interesting with all of their struts and wires.
The propeller was a push-propeller mounted in the back.  I think the engine's radiator is right behind the gunner, and I wondered how hot it got and how someone in the plane would avoid being tossed against it during a bumpy flight.

I'm not sure if it's the black stork on the side, or the general shape of the plane, but it also reminds me of the Nazgul from Tolkien's Lord of the Rings.

No comments: