Thursday, June 18, 2015

Travelling Tales

Wednesday night, The Child and I flew to the relatives in New York.  We took a red-eye special.

Things were going fairly well until the airplane cabin pressurized and The Child's nose started to bleed.  The plan took off and I tried to get help from the flight crew, who couldn't come help unless it was a real emergency.   It wasn't exactly a River of Blood I had to deal with, but it was on a white shirt with a borrowed paper towel.

Unbeknownst to me, The Child had a secret plan:  he was going to stay up until he saw the sun rising. In vain I tried to get him to sleep, but he kept himself amused with electronic devices.  I think he got a total of 20 minutes sleep on the plane.  I think I got 40. 

When we got to Newark, we were going to take the train to Grandma Mary's.  This required catching a train to Secaucus Junction.  Through a combination of being unfamiliar with the NJ Transit system, incomplete directions from a porter, and a staticy PA system, we wound up at the New York Penn Station.  

After getting more help, we managed to get on the right train to Secaucus Junction.  One  of the things we had on our list to do was to get a Duncan Doughnut.  As soon as we got something, we discovered that we had a minute to catch the train to grandma's.  A mad dash through the terminal and down two flights of steps got us to the train on time.

Eventually, we got to Grandma's ... and had a four hour nap.

Afterward, there was a celebratory Chinese Take-Out feast to celebrate The Child's birthday.  And obligatory, I'm-so-excited-I-could-puke puking at 3 AM.


No comments: