Friday, June 26, 2015

Ouroboros and Cross

I took this photo for the design on the gravestone.  If I'm remembering correctly, it's in the churchyard around Trinity Church (or else St. Paul's Chapel).  The base is an ouroboros encircling a sand dial.  It's difficult to see, but the snake's side is braided or twisted.  On top of the snake's circle is a round, eight-rayed globe which I'm assuming is the sun. Tree of Life branches seem to spring out of the ouroboros.  Out of the sun springs the Crucifix.

The rest of the gravestone looks like an illuminated page from the Bible.  What struck me about it was that it was positively dripping with allegory in a churchyard filled with ornate but simpler stones.  Buildings and monuments dripping with allegory is why I like New York City and the East Coast generally.  I wish Eugene and Portland had more interesting design in their structures; Portland has the Skidmore Fountain, Portlandia, and a smattering of buildings from the 1920's, but Eugene really only has Villard and Deady Halls on the University of Oregon Campus and Hope Chapel in the Pioneer Graveyard.

It makes me want to decorate our house with statues or something...


No comments: