Wednesday, January 14, 2015

In A World Where Music is Over The Top....

Yesterday I discovered a music group called "Two Steps from Hell."  It appears they focus on atmospheric and movie trailer music, which makes them like "Juno Reactor" or "Junkie XL".

In deconstructing their music, it typically has a quiet, two to four note intro contained by an octave (for the moody pan across the snow-covered wheat field); a descending ground that spends a lot of time in a minor key (while mom washes the dishes in the Spice Mines of Kessel), stopwatch percussion, (the movie's "ticking clock"); a mystic or romantic female vocalist ("Hear my song/prayer, Obi-Wan.  You're my only hope."); silence between kettle-drum hits (for a last kiss from a betraying lover while armies glare at each other from world-sized star fortresses), a Roman legion horn section (freedom fighters riding dragons), and a frantic string section (for ninja-scampering and running away from the demonic horde).   Thinking about it more, I'm pretty sure that a slowed down, minor key version of the signature phrase from "I like to be in America" is worked into a lot of what I've heard. 

I spent at least a half hour with The Child moving dramatically and saying things like, "In a World where he must choose between posing dramatically and duty" or reaching out in slo-mo while saying "Nnnnnooooooooooooo!"

And laughing maniacally.

Lots of laughing maniacally.

While the wind machine blows fog over me and the stars fall.


No comments: