Monday, July 09, 2012

1880's American Centaur

I'm working on a short story with Centaur cowgirls (still).  Or, if not a Centaur cowgirl, a Centauride in a Buffalo Bill-like traveling show   (Must. Not. Quote. Cher. Song.) in Arizona around 1880.


Although people back then were Americans, they were Victorian Americans, which means that I have to think about things like, "What would a respectable Centauride on the American Western Frontier wear?"   Probably a busty Centaur Cowgirl wearing a loose blouse or only a vest riding into town would probably cause a stir.



I think the trick is figuring out what would preserve a Centaur's modesty without being too hot to wear.  I'm thinking a light cotton cover with a lot of lace or fringe.....


Luckily, there's an exhibition of cowgirl portraits in town; it features some biographical materials which have been helpful.  I'm hopeful that it will help me to avoid silly Western mistakes. 

No comments: