Friday, August 27, 2010

World's Largest Bromley Dance

Oh man!

Someone just sent me this link to the California Revels Bromliad : http://californiarevels.org/bromliad

And now I wish I could and be one of the hundreds of people all dancing the Abbots Bromley Horn Dance All At The Same Time. Alas, previous engagements and responsibilities will keep me here. Not to mention little inconveniences like figuring out (and paying for) transport and lodgings.

The Abbots Bromley Horn Dance is one of the few English folk customs to survive both the Reformation and Cromwell. It's a folk processional performed on Wakes Monday and it involves six dancers clacking reindeer horns together. To a kind of spooky tune.

Oh well. I guess I'll have to be content dancing it in a few weeks at the Shrewsbury Renaissance Faire.

No comments: