Thursday, January 15, 2009

Twitter and Leisure Information

I've discovered Twitter. I'm trying to decide if it makes me feel young or old. It is useful to see updates for the New York Times or NASA. It's fun to see what's up with some of my writer friends and acquaintances. And it's fascinating to me that folks I don't recognize are following me from India (I hope they don't think I'm John Burridge the English Goal Keeper).

Mark says that it's too much of a distraction.

I think that there is a tendency to post things to Twiter because I can and I'm trying to resist that urge. The character limit raises interesting questions as a writer -- what is the boundary between conciseness and a short attention span ? Can our lives or great ideas or a zeitgeist be expressed down to 140 characters (or six words ("These are testing times. Study hard.") and is this a good thing? ("Herr Mozart, there are too many notes in your opera...")

Interestingly, as I was writing this, I received David Pogue's take on Twitter, which seems to be close to my own.

No comments: