Thursday, February 14, 2008

Goodbye, Vigilant Lizards

One of my favorite shirts needs to be retired. It's a short-sleeved cotton shirt with a print of neon lizards on a blue background made by my friend and seamstress extraordinare, Laura N. She managed to match up the lizards on the front pocket seam, but not on the front where it buttons up. She was concerned that I wouldn't like it, but I pointed to where a three-legged lizard sprouted two tails and improvised an impassioned speech along the lines of, "Oh, no; you see, these lizards will remind me that human activity on the planet is causing environmental problems, and I will proudly wear this three-legged, two tailed lizard as a reminder that we must all be vigilant!." I've worn the shirt on special occasions, and I guess I've worn it so many times that the fabric has failed around the collar and other hems. Alas, now I guess the only thing the shirt is good for reminding me is that I need to shop for a new shirt.

No comments: