Monday, May 14, 2007

I find your lack of faith disturbing

Last Friday we went to Jerry's, a local hardware and houseware store. While we were traipsing through the waterfall section (and discovering that all the rock waterfalls are really plastic waterfalls) I spied an outdoor furniture arrangement. "Oh," I said, "it's Cafe John."

"You've been saying that for years," said Mark. "I don't believe that Cafe John exsists. Or if it does it's that card table sitting out on our patio."

Well.

For those of you who are wondering what 'Cafe John' is, it is an outdoor cafe table large enough to hold writing supplies, a teapot, several tea cups, and a plate or two of savories. The table's surface must be smooth -- so it's likely that it's brushed metal or glass plate. Two to four outdoor chairs surround the table -- they're probably made of metal, but they must be comfortable. There might be an umbrella over the table... or it might be in a gazebo... or white canvas drapes or other pavilion structure could shade it. And, I've decided that it should have a fountain or other ambient sound to drown out some of our louder neighbors.

So last night I went to Froogle to price out outdoor cafe furniture, only to discover that it had been replaced by Google Products and my previous wish lists had been lost. Sigh. Time to rebuild. I did find a really tall set of chairs, and my excitement that I might have found a workspace out of Arthur's reach was unbounded until I realized he would simply knock them over (probably onto himself). Unfortunately, it looks like I can have gracious or I can have cheap.

So now it's time to shop, because Goddess knows that I'm going to want to sit in a chair and table set before I buy it. And while I'm at it, I'm going to get a bench/bin for all the plastic toys scattered around the card table, too.

No comments: